Yes, this is an AARP commercial and I really like it...

Friday, March 27, 2009

Who knew crayons could weigh so much?

After staying late at work, I had the opportunity to finally inventory the plethora of supplies people have donated. I sat on the floor surrounded by hoards of crayons, flash cards and candy, while Adam made a spreadsheet to keep track.

After recording everything, I ever so gently packed it all in a donated bag, a duffel with wheels and filled every little space with something be it a glue stick or eraser... there's no chance these items will jostle around in transit. I don't want to brag or anything... but it may be the best packing job I've ever done...the only problem at the moment... I cannot lift the bag. Hmmm - perhaps it's good that it has wheels - now we just need to weigh it to make sure I can even check it. Over 50lbs I will have to pay $45, over 70 lbs I cannot check it - so... I'm shooting for 70lbs even :~) The remainder of the supplies that are left behind (if any) will be hand delivered when Adam travels over at the end of June.


Drum roll please....

775 pencils, 706 crayons, 365 colored pencils, 66 erasers, 65 markers, 51 pens, 34 boxes of learning flash cards, 32 highlighters, 23 glue sticks, 20 spiral notebooks, 18 coloring books, 16 pencil sharpeners, 7 Handmade Blackboard Placemats w/ chalk, 3 handmade animal bath towels, 1 handmade learning book, 2 flash drives and 2 laptops!

Additional donations include:
13 Bookmarks
12 Jumbo Chalk
11 Calculators
10 Color Markers
7 Comic Books
7 Learning Workbooks
6 Bags of Candy
6 Pocket Folders
6 Stencils
5 Children's Books
5 Children's Scissors
5 Packages of Stickers
4 Packages of notebook paper
3 Card Games
2 Desktop Pencil Sharpeners
2 Rulers
2 Toy Tennis Rackets
1 Basketball
1 Dictionary
1 Doll
2 Frisbees
1 Hole Punch
1 Math Workbook
1 Measuring Tape
1 Package of art molding clay
1 Paint Set
1 Puzzle
1 Adult Scissors
1 Scotch Tape
1 Soccer Ball

THANK YOU!!!!

2 comments:

Phil McArdle said...

SO AMAZING!!!!

chenda said...

wow!I'm so happy you got so many donation for the children! Good luck on your journey to Uganda and can't wait to hear more stories.